Defining a Survey (3D SEG-Y)
In the Survey window, choose whether to use analysis results to create or update a survey, or to use an existing survey.
Choose how to handle the survey:
- Create new survey called: Creates a new survey for the project database. Enter a name for the new survey.
- Use existing survey: Use an existing survey for the data loading. Click the arrow icon to choose from a list of existing surveys.
- Replace existing survey: Existing survey geometry is replaced with the new tie points.
- Enter three tie points in the IL/CL to X/Y Tie Points table. This information is sometimes provided in the EBCDIC Header.
- If using the option Calculate tie points from X/Y headers, the table will contain the tie-points found during the analysis.
- Click Reset tie points from analysis to replace the current values with the tie points found during the analysis.
- The IL spacing, CL spacing, IL orientation (survey azimuth) and Angle between ILs and CLs are calculated from the tie points. A warning is displayed if the angle between ILs and CLs is not perpendicular.
- Click Next.
- For examples, see Survey File Examples.
Note: A survey defines the relationship between Inline/Crossline and Eastings/Northings (based on the tie-points). In Insight, surveys extend in all directions and do not include the IL and CL ranges. If Insight finds another survey in the project with the same IL/CL to X/Y relationship, it will NOT allow you to create a duplicate survey, i.e. If two sets of tie points convert IL/CL values to the same X/Y coordinates, they are considered duplicate surveys (see Why does SEG-Y Loader tell me I have a duplicate survey even though the coordinates are not the same?).
Genuine offer of assistance
DUG understands that importing SEG-Y data can be a confusing task.
Whether you are using a trial version or a fully-paid licence, we will help you to import your data to Insight so that you will get the maximum out of your data.
For more information, contact support at [email protected].