Downloading Insight and Installing on Windows
- In any internet browser, visit: https://dug.com/dug-insight/download-resources/
- After reading the Software Evaluation and Licensing Agreement (SELA), select the check-box to accept and agree to the SELA.
- Click the download button for the latest release.
- Choose Windows from the drop-down menu.
- The download should automatically start.
After download is complete:
- Click the Run button to start installation; or
- Find the DUG_Insight<version>.msi installation file in your Downloads folder or where the installer was saved and double-click.
Before release, every DUG Insight installer is tested, validated and signed with a certificate to ensure its authenticity.
Depending on your system configuration, you may be prompted with a security warning.
- Click the More info link to show app and publisher information.
- Click Run Anyway to start the setup process.
By default, if the installer detects previous versions of Insight installed in your machine
- select the Remove previous versions check box to uninstall existing versions in the machine
- unselect this check box to add the new version without uninstalling earlier versions.
- Click Next.
Tip: If you have more than one existing versions in your machine, you can selectively uninstall by opening your computer's Control Panel and clicking Uninstall a program. Find the version of Insight you want to remove and click Uninstall.
In the Installation Scope window, select:
- Just for you — The installer will install Insight in a default system location for user based installations. To install Insight just for you, you do not need Administrative privileges.
- For ALL users of this machine — The installer will install Insight in a general folder accessible to all users, i.e. C:\Program Files\. To install Insight for all users, Administrative privileges will be required.
- Click on the Select Custom Installation Location check box to change the default installation folder in the next window.
- Click Next.
If you have selected to change the default destination for the installation, the Destination Folder window will be displayed.
- Click Change and browse to the desired directory. Click OK.
- Click Next.
Note: From Windows Vista onward, administration rights is required to write to some system folders (e.g. Program Files). Installing "just for you" does not require administrative rights. Therefore, there are some limitations on where you can install Insight.
We recommend installing in the default locations. If you have administrative rights, we recommend installing it for all users.
- In addition to installing DUG Insight, select other features such as the DUG Local Job Scheduler that might be useful to you.
- If you have the Petrel E&P software installed on your machine (see How Insight detects the Petrel Installation), the Setup Wizard will provide you with the option of installing the Petrel Link to connect and share data with your Petrel project in Insight. Click on the Petrel link check box to install it together with Insight (see Installing the Petrel Link).
- Click Next.
- The Petrel software MUST be closed before running the installation. The installation will not be successful if Petrel is running in the background.
- If you already have the Petrel Link installed for an older version, that version will no longer work and needs to be manually removed before you install the new version. To manually remove previous Insight plugins from Petrel, see How do I manually remove the Petrel Link?
If the Petrel link check box is disabled during setup, it is either because:
- Insight cannot detect that the Petrel software is installed (see How Insight detects the Petrel Installation), or
- You have chosen to install just for one user. You will NOT be able to install the Petrel Link if you have chosen to install for a single user, because the Petrel Link needs to be installed in Program Files by an administrator.
When you are ready, click Install.
Note: If you have selected to install for all users, a Shield icon will appear beside the word Install to remind you that you need Administrative privileges. The User Account Control window will appear after you click Install. It should say that it was verified by DownUnder GeoSolutions Pty Ltd. Click Yes to continue.
- You can monitor the progress of the installation via the Status bar.
- Once the installation is completed, click Finish to exit the Setup Wizard.
The software has now been installed and a shortcut will be created on your desktop.
- A DownUnder GeoSolutions folder is also added to the Start menu.
- Double-click on the shortcut or select the program from the Start menu to launch DUG Insight (see Launching Insight).
Note: By default, Insight automatically checks for updates and will notify you when a newer version is available. You can manually check for updates from within Insight (see Checking for Updates).