Exporting Compressed Gathers
Insight's advanced compression stores gather data in a compressed, highly efficient format, reducing storage requirements and I/O bandwidth.
Advanced compression results in a ratio of about 10:1 for stored data, i.e. a compressed gather volume at 60 dB is about 10% of the size of the input SEG-Y. The algorithm can be configured to provide more or less compression by specifying the target signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). The larger the SNR target, the closer the volume will match the original gathers, and the larger the output will be. Each gathers is compressed independently using a variation of the discrete cosine transform.
- In the Control Panel, open the Volume tab.
- Select the gather volume that you want to export.
- Right-click the gather volume and click Export 'gather volume'. The Export Volume window will be displayed.
- Refer to Exporting to DUG I/O for information on configuring the other settings.
- In the Gather Extents section, type the gather dimension extents that you want to export. By default, it will display the original extents of the gather dimension.
- Select the Optimise gathers check box. The Advanced Compression check box will be available.
- Select the Advanced compression check box to export a highly-compressed volume. When you have enabled this feature, you can define the compression quality at dB signal:noise target.
- Click OK to begin exporting. An export indication will be displayed beside the gather volume name.