Cursor and Tracking
The humble cursor, how we interact with our data. You’ve probably not put much thought into the cursor but much like everything else in DUG Insight, it’s quite flexible and useful.
The cursor’s default setting is to be small, thin and green...as unobtrusive as possible while still being visible. You can edit the colour, line thickness and style through the menu option Tool > Preferences > Crosshair.
Switching from Small to Big will extend the cursor so the lines hit the axes. This makes it quite easy to immediately read time, depth, IL/XL, CMP, or location data and also put a perfectly straight line across your data. Change the colour and line thickness to make the cursor more visible over your data.
Tracking the displayed data values and location of the cursor is always available at the bottom of each screen but you can get even more information from the cursor location. Turn on the menu option View > Xhair Values to expand on the amount of information you see in the status bar.
A new window opens showing the cursor location values for:
- Projected CRS coordinates (X/Y)
- Geographic CRS coordinates (Lat/Lon)
- Time and Depth values (if there is a T/D relationship configured)
- All active survey locations (IL/XL and CMP)
- All active seismic volume values (both saved and virtual volumes)
- All active horizon values
- Nearest Well values
- Distance from well to cursor
- TWT and MD (if TD pairs are stored for that well)
- Currently active log curve value
This is a great way to compare values between different objects. You can also pop open the Headers window (Menu bar > View > Headers) to interrogate headers at cursor location.
Wonderful for super fast QC and analysis. You’ll never think of the cursor as humble again.
Find Out More!