Taking Screen Captures
Insight has a built-in tool for taking snapshots of different Views.
Capture an image of a window using the camera icon in the top left corner.
- Click the Camera icon to capture the view and save the result to a file.
- CTRL-Click the Camera icon to capture the view and save to the clipboard.
- While results are calculated in a window, the camera is replaced with a spinning “busy” icon.
- Most views support screen captures, but there are some exceptions.
Using the capture tool
- Click the camera button to start a screen capture.
a. The first time you capture a window, instructions are shown.
b. Click “Don’t show again” to hide this message in the future.
c. Click OK to keep the reminder.
Capturing a view
- Move the mouse over an area to capture.
- The capture area is highlighted, and the non-capture area is dimmed.
- To expand the screen capture area:
- Press SPACEBAR, or
- Right-click the mouse.
- Each press will expand the area an additional step.
- Left-click or press Enter to capture the area.
Setting the scale
After selecting the area to capture, the scale window is shown. Increase the scale value to capture the area at higher resolution.
- Adjust the scale value using the buttons or manually enter a value.
- The pixel dimension of the resulting image are shown.
- Click OK to capture the image.
Note: High resolution captures (scaling) are not available for the 3D view.
Saving a screen capture to file
After setting the scale, the area is captured and the save file dialog is shown.
- Select the location.
- By default, the “rep” (report) folder of the current project is selected (see Directory Structure).
- Type a file name and click Save.
Captured images are saved in PNG format. This format is supported by almost all third party software. It is interchangeable with other common formats such as JPEG and GIF.
Saving a screen capture to clipboard
If the CTRL key is pressed while clicking the camera button, the captured image is saved to the clipboard, instead of to a file.
The captured image can be pasted into other programs by:
- [menu] Edit / Paste
- (windows keyboard) CTRL+V
- (macOS keyboard) ⌘+V