Using polygon operations, multiple polygons can be combined to create new shapes.
- Split shapes into polygons
Create polygon from
- All shapes
- Union of shapes
- Intersection of shapes
- Difference of shapes from
- Exclusion of shapes
Note: Create polygon options are only available if the selected polygons are on the same plane (map slice, horizon, section or gather).
Split shape into polygons
If a polygon is constructed from multiple shapes, they can be divided into separate polygons. The new polygons are stored in a new folder.
- In the Control Panel / Polygon tab, right click a polygon.
- Choose Split shapes into polygons.
- A dialog is shown to name the destination folder:
- Enter a name for the folder.
- Click OK.
- A folder is created containing a polygon for each of the shapes.
Create polygon from...
The Create Polygon From... options are available when more than one polygon is selected in the Control Panel / Polygons tab and the selected polygons share the same Z domain value.
- In the Control Panel, open the Polygon tab.
- Hold Ctrl/Shift and select the polygons to combine.
- Right click and select Create Polygon from...
- Choose the operation to perform.
- Type a name for the polygon and click OK.
- Click the newly created polygon to edit the settings.
Create Polygon From... Operations
- All shapes included in the selected polygons are added to a new polygon.
- Only one copy of duplicate shapes is included in the result.
- The resulting polygon will contain multiple shapes, at least one per select polygon.
Union of Shapes
- The area from all shapes in the selected polygons are merged into a new polygon.
- The resulting polygon will contain one shape for each contiguous region.
Intersection of Shapes
- A polygon is created from the area covered by all the shapes in the selected polygons.
- i.e. the area where all selected shapes overlap
Difference of shapes from ‘<<polygon name>>’
Note: The first polygon is the top-most polygon using the order in the Polygon tab. It is NOT the first polygon selected.
- Take the area in the first polygon
- Subtract the area in each subsequent polygon from the first.
- Create a new polygon from the result.
Exclusion of shapes
- Find the non-overlapping (or unique) areas from all the shapes in the selected polygons.
- i.e. Create a polygon from the area that is covered by only one shape.
Note: Insight will not create polygons which generate shapes with holes inside. Shapes with holes are not supported.