How curves are selected for display
Well Templates automatically select the log curve to display by searching for matching classes. Use mnemonics to choose which data is used when log curves have the same class.
- A template is made up of one or more tracks
- Each track can contain curves
- Each curve has a specified class
When a template is loaded and a well is displayed, the curve searches the well for logs that match its class.
- If no mnemonic is specified, display the first log curve that matches the class
If the mnemonic is specified:
- Check each of the patterns in the mnemonic in order
- Find the first curve (with the right class) that matches the pattern
- To view the curves of a well, go to Wells tab and select a well.
- A list of curves belonging to the selected well is shown under the Curve dropbox along with the mnemonics.
- The Well curve mnemonics is also viewable by editing the Well curve. Read about Assigning Classes to Well Curve.
Using Mnemonics in Well Template
To use mnemonics for well curves in Well Templates:
- In the Tracks tab, select the desired curve.
- Under the Curve Selection section, key in the mnemonics phrase. The default value is blank. The curve will use the first available log data in that class.
- The Selected field shows the first curve of each well that was grabbed by the search.
- Curve searching rules:
- Mnemonics are case sensitive.
- * wildcard matches any text (including nothing).
- ? wildcard matches any single character in that position, but cannot be empty.
- Wildcards can be anywhere in the pattern
- Enter multiple patterns by separating them with commas
- If Show in Header is checked, the well header in the track template will display the selected curve name.
If you enter the phrase *DT? in the search box, Insight searches for mnemonics that have:
- Any number of characters before "DT" (* indicates any series of characters) and
- Any one character afterwards (? indicates exactly one of any character)
Matching results are "QI_Wells: DTS" and "QI_Wells: DT2" but not "QI_Wells: DTS2".
Note: Only one curve is ever displayed, even if more than one curve is found.
Examples of Matching
- No pattern
- Exact value
- With extended patterns * and ?