Troubleshooting: Enabling TCP/IP in the SQL Server
TCP/IP must be enabled for users who are running SQL server on their workstations.
Note: Users with SQL Server 2012 installed, SQL Server Network Configuration can now be accessed via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
Enable TCP/IP in the SQL Server
- From the Start menu, click on All Programs.
- Click on Microsoft SQL Server 20XX.
- Expand the Configuration Tools subfolder and right-click on SQL Server Configuration Manager. Click on Run as Administrator.
- Select SQL Server Network Configuration and click Protocols for SMTKINGDOM.
- In the right pane, right-click TCP/IP and click Enable.
Restart SQL Server
In order for the changes to take effect, you need to restart the server.
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Click on System and Security.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Double-click Services to open the Services window.
- Scroll down and right-click on the SQL Server (SMTKINGDOM)** instance and select Restart.
Note: Make sure all programs using the SQL instance are closed before you restart.
If you are still having trouble connecting to Kingdom, see Troubleshooting: Windows services SQL Server (SMTKINGDOM) and SQL Server Browser Are Running.
** The instance can have any name applied. For users with Kingdom already installed the instance name will be, by default, SMTKINGDOM. Users with a fresh Insight install will be named DUGINSIGHT.