SEG-Y Loader Overview
The SEG-Y format is not flexible or efficient enough to read large amounts of data quickly. The SEG-Y Loader converts SEG-Y data into DUG’s Dugio format. The Dugio format is optimised to provide the necessary speed and flexibility for Insight’s high performance displays.
Surveys vs. Volumes
A survey refers to the navigational positioning of a dataset. It defines the basic parameters (i.e. inline and crossline spacing) of where the volume sits on the earth. A volume contains the actual seismic data, positioned according to the survey it is associated with.
A survey file can be created during the SEG-Y loading process.
How to load SEG-Y data
The SEG-Y Loader is a step-by-step wizard that leads you through importing SEG-Y formatted data into Insight.
- Open the SEG-Y Loader (see Launching SEG-Y Loader).
- Select the data type (2D or 3D), vertical domain (time or depth) and type of gather (if applicable)
- Select the SEG-Y files to load
- Set trace length and other settings to read the SEG-Y correctly. Some fields are required:
- Optionally, export the configuration to reuse later.
- Apply filters to the data to select a subset, or exclude invalid traces (see Filtering 2D Data or Filtering 3D Data).
- Check the configuration using analysis. Adjust settings as required.
- Optionally, load separate navigation to position the data (see Loading Navigation Data Files)
- Create or use an existing survey to position the data (see Defining a 2D Survey or Defining a 3D Survey).
- Choose a file name and other export options, including the creation of high-speed optimised volumes. (see Output and Writing Options (2D SEG-Y) or Output and Writing Options (3D SEG-Y)).
- Run the conversion to output the Dugio volume and add it to the project. (see Writing 2D Data or Writing 3D Data)
- In Insight, load the volume into a session.
For more information on SEG-Y Loading, see Why am I having issues loading SEG-Y?.
Genuine offer of assistance
DUG understands that importing SEG-Y data can be a confusing task.
Whether you are using a trial version or a fully-paid licence, we will help you to import your data to Insight so that you will get the maximum out of your data.
For more details, contact support at email@example.com.