The Volume Derivative process calculates the first or second derivative of a trace using the finite difference method.
Create a Volume Derivative process
- In the Control Panel, open the Process tab.
- At the tab header, click the Add icon and select New Process.
- Scroll down and double-click on Volume Derivative.
- Type a name for the process and click OK.
Calculate the derivative of a trace
- In the Details Panel, select a Volume.
- Select the Order:
- First derivative: Calculate the first derivative of the trace.
- Second derivative: Calculate the second derivative of the trace.
As a result of this process, a new volume is available in the Volume tab.
Note: The derivatives are calculated using a central finite difference method.
- The first and last values of the first derivative are calculated using the forward and backward finite difference respectively.
- The first and last values of the second derivative will be null (NaN).