Downloading and Installing SQL Server 2014
A Kingdom project that is stored as a Microsoft SQL database needs to be attached to an SQL Server instance before it can be linked in Insight. Follow the steps below to download and install Microsoft SQL Server Express edition for free from Microsoft's website.
Insight will automatically attach Auto SSE projects to SQL Server when connecting. If you have a manual project, or your database is not auto-attaching, try Manually Attaching Kingdom SQL Database. To do that, you will need to Download and Install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.
If you, or someone you share the project with, plan to open the project using Kingdom in the future, see SQL Server versions and backwards compatibility.
Note: SQL Server Express has backward compatibility issues. Kingdom over the past few years have updated their version of SQL Server Express. Once a Kingdom database has been opened in a more recent version of Kingdom the database is no longer compatible with older versions of SQL Server Express. This can be resolved by upgrading your SQL version to SQL Server Express 2014. If returning the original Kingdom project to your customer, make a copy of the Kingdom project before connecting to DUG-Insight. If you're unsure please contact email@example.com.
Guide to Kingdom and SQL versions:
- Kingdom 2018 requires SQL Server Express 2014
- Kingdom 2016 requires SQL Server Express 2008 R2 or SQL Server Express 2012
- Kingdom 2015 requires SQL Server Express 2008 R2
Downloading SQL Server Express 2014
- From your desktop, open your preferred browser.
- Go to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299.
- Select the language from the drop-down box and click Download.
- A window will appear for you to choose the files you wish to download.
- Select SQLEXPR_x64 to download Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express for 64-bit operating systems. For 32-bit operating systems, download SQLEXPR_x86.
- Click Next (the button will not be clickable if you have not selected any file).
- You will be redirected to a download page where the download should automatically start.
- If your download does not start, click on Click here to manually start the download.
Installing SQL Server Express 2014
- Right-click on the .exe file that you have downloaded from the website and select Run as administrator.
- Click Yes if the User Account Control window appears.
- Type or browse the directory location to extract the installation files.
- Click OK and the files will be copied to the selected folder.
- When the extraction is done, the SQL Server Installation Center window is displayed.
- In the Installation Center, click on New SQL Server stand-alone installation to only install SQL Server 2014.
- Select the option to Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2014 and click Next.
- Read and accept the License Agreement.
- Click Next (the button will not be clickable until you have accepted the terms and conditions).
- Enable the Use Microsoft Update to check for updates option if you prefer automatic update checking.
- Click Next to continue.
- In Feature Selection, select Instance Features.
- Click Next.
In the Instance Configuration window,
- Named instance: Type "DUGInsight" as the instance name.
- Instance ID and Server directory will be renamed accordingly.
- Click Next. The setup will check that the disk has enough space to perform the installation.
- If there are no errors, setup will automatically proceed to Server Configuration.
- Configure the SQL server account names and password (optional).
- At the last column, select Automatic as the Startup Type.
- Click Next.
- In Database Engine Configuration, select Windows authentication mode and
- Specify the administrator(s) for the SQL server by clicking Add or Remove.
- Click Next.
- When the installation is completed, click Close.
Proceed to Configuring the Kingdom Link to begin linking items from your Kingdom project.