Exporting Compressed Gathers
Insight's advanced compression stores gather data in a compressed, highly efficient format, reducing storage requirements and I/O bandwidth. Compressed gather volumes can be read by any version of Insight, but a Data Manager licence is required to write volumes using advanced compression.
Advanced compression results in a ratio of about 10:1 for stored data, i.e. a compressed gather volume at 60 dB is about 10% of the size of the input SEG-Y. The algorithm can be configured to provide more or less compression by specifying the target signal to noise ratio (SNR). The larger the SNR target, the closer the volume will match the original gathers, and the larger the output will be. Each gather is compressed independently using a variation of the discrete cosine transform.
- In the Control Panel, open the Volume tab.
- Select the gather volume that you want to export.
- Right-click the gather volume and click Export 'gather volume'. The Export Volume window will be displayed.
- Refer to Exporting to DUG I/O for information on configuring the other settings.
- In the Gather Extents section, type the gather dimension extents that you want to export. By default, it will display the original extents of the gather dimension.
- Select the Optimise gathers check box. The Advanced Compression check box will be available.
- Select the Advanced compression check box to export a highly-compressed volume. When you have enabled this feature, you can define the compression quality at dB signal:noise target.
- Click OK to begin exporting. An export indication will be displayed beside the gather volume name.