How do I load multiple stacks or volumes from SEG-Y at the same time?
If you are trying to get to your data in a hurry (and you know your disks and network can handle it), you CAN load multiple volumes at the same time!
There are a few things you need to be aware of to make things easier.
2D SEG-Y data is usually stored in one-line-per-file. An Insight 2D volume includes all the lines from the same seismic acquisition for a single type of data. For example, one Insight volume contains full stack data stored on several 2D lines, while a second volume contains velocity model data for the same 2D lines.
When you load 2D lines, you should include all the SEG-Y files for the same acquisition and type of data, at the same time.
Note: 2D volumes are flexible and allow you to revisit a volume to load data after the volume is first written.
3D SEG-Y data can be extremely large, sometimes spanning several tapes or disks. In this case, large 3D surveys will be divided into several files.
When you load 3D data, you should include all the SEG-Y files for the same acquisition and type of data at the same time.
Note: 3D volumes will NOT let you append or overwrite data after the volume has been completed!
A survey refers to the navigational positioning of a dataset. Insight uses the survey to position data in the correct location.
In DUG Insight, a 3D survey defines the relationship between Inline/Crossline and X/Y. A 2D survey defines the relationship between CMP (or shot-point) and X/Y.
Tie points define the relationship between the survey coordinates and X/Y. Different combinations of tie points can give the same mathematical survey relationship. In these cases, Insight treats them as being the same survey. It will not let you load multiple separate surveys that are equivalent.
Example: Load full-stack and near-stack volumes for the same survey
- Start SEG-Y Loader and configure it to load the full-stack data (see SEG-Y Loader Overview).
- Create the survey if it does not already exist (see Defining a 3D Survey, Defining a 2D survey and Loading External Navigation Files).
- Select the output configuration details and start writing (see 2D and 3D Output and Writing Options).
- Once the full-stack volume has started writing to the .dugio volume file, return to the DUG Launcher and start a new instance of the SEG-Y Loader.
- Configure the second instance to load the near-stack data.
- Select the existing survey created when configuring the SEG-Y loader for the full-stack. Use the option Use Existing Survey.
- Select the output configuration details and start writing.
- The two .dugio volumes will be generated simultaneously.
- You can start more instances of the SEG-Y loader for additional volumes, but be aware that the number of instances is limited by the capacity of your machine and the network.
To view the volumes that you have loaded, see How do I view multiple volumes at the same time?